This is Hip Hop
I always had an interest in hip-hop and its culture; I have always liked the music and found it inspirational when designing and drawing. I guess you can say I’m from the “projects” and grew up living in an urban environment and culture. So when it comes to Hip-Hop, I guess I can relate to what most of them are saying (besides the drugs, money and ho’s). So I decided to further my knowledge in this region and go beyond learning more about how the hip-hop community works and how other people view/relate to it.
Ways to discover more information?
- Joining Urban Blog Sites
- There are tons of Rap forum sites that I have discovered where people even upload music, etc.
- Social Media (facebook fan pages of local artists, etc.) as well as Myspace.
- Youtube videos of hip-hop videos
- Also a no-brainer is going to artists personal websites
So I tried all of the ways to discover new information on this topic of interest and registered for a couple of hip hop forums and participated in conversations about upcoming artists and on the views of the hip hop community. I started my own threads on one sight called Letsbeef.com finding out why they enjoyed the culture and music. Most of the people that joined in on the conversation said that they were able to relate to it, and almost treat the music as a sanctuary from the outside world, an escape almost.
It really expanded my view on the community and realized how world wide this culture goes, it allowed me to understand the culture a lot more and why people actually enjoy the music etc. I also became fans of facebook, and myspace pages and viewed peoples comments and how they interact in the community, observed the language that they used too. It showed me a whole new vocabulary almost.
Most of the advertisements on these sites have advertised about Hip Hop satellite radio stations, and places to download this music such as DatPiff.com (download mixtapes etc.) Also the urban clothing brands mostly advertise in these sites.
Brands that are missing out?
The hip hop community has so many brands that can appeal to them. But I couldn’t really think of any brands that are missing out because I found these sights were really cluttered. There’s so many different activities that this community participate in that it seems like its all covered to me. It’s a pretty refined market, so not to many things appeal to them unless its actually joining in on the conversation.

No comments:
Post a Comment